Monday, March 18, 2013

Commence blogging... GO!

So I have to confess. I know next to nothing about blogging, computers/Internet, or parenting. I'm hoping to learn as I go with the first two as I have so far with the last one. First, a little about my family. I married my high school sweetheart Sam after knowing him for 20 years. Yeah, I know, that's a bit odd. We have an 18 month old boy named Edward, or Eddie, who is the light of my life. Seriously, this kid is the happiest kid on the planet. It's not just me who thinks so. I have strangers stop me all the time and tell me this. He makes it incredibly fun and easy to be a stay at home mom. We sure got lucky with this one. I mean, yes, he does get cranky and sometimes throws a fit, but for the most part he is embarrassingly well behaved. Flirty, even. Sam and I are expecting kid number 2 in 4 months (July 1). Hopefully the second child is half as good as the first, although everyone tells me I'm bound to have a devil child to make up for how awesome Eddie is. Our family is rounded out by a cat Jada. Eddie loves Jada. Jada tolerates Eddie. Their relationship is quite cute.

Besides being a mom, which takes up a surprising amount of time, I'm also into car rallying and have been since... well... forever. Literally. My parents were rallying when I was born. No, not at the moment I was born, but I spent a good amount of my childhood in the back seat of a car driving back roads. So what is rallying? A time-speed-distance car rally is not anything like racing. It's on public streets with regular every day cars. The basic idea is you get a set of instructions of where to turn and what speeds to average between certain points. Occasionally you come across checkpoints that record your arrival time and give you at departure time. Your time between these checkpoints is compared to a mathematically calculated time and you receive points depending on how off you are. Like golf, low score wins. Like golf, when you're doing good it's great and when you're doing badly, it's torture. But it's always enjoyable, a nearly perfect mix of math and fun driving. Eddie is going to grow up as I did spending a lot of time in the back of a car driving around on car rallies. I wrote an 8 hour car rally when Eddie was 2 months old. It took three days and he was a perfect angel the entire time. Well, until about the last 40 minutes, he just wanted to get out and feel the wind on his face.

I'm active in my church and teach Sunday School and play in our bell choir. Teaching Sunday School is something I just kind of fell into (it seems like most if not all of the parents get sucked into volunteering at one point or another) and I'm as clueless at that as I am at everything else. Music, on the other hand, is a passion I'm had all my life. I grew up playing the violin until I realized I really didn't like it, then played trumpet and trombone. But it's no fun playing an instrument unless you have the opportunity to play with other people. That's what makes bell choir so amazing. You can't do it without every single member of the choir. When one person is missing, you can hear the hole that is left. It's really fun to be a part of something that becomes larger than the sum of it's parts. Plus it's nice to get out of the house without the kid and interact with adults at least once a week.

I also like to read, although I don't seem to get nearly enough time these days to do so. Well, let me take that back. I read a ton, but all the books have a pictures and a limited amount of words. And I often read the same book over and over and over and over and over. And then read it again.

So this blog is mostly a journal for me so I can look back with my kids when they are annoying teenagers and remember what they were like when they were cute and adorable. But if you'd like to come along for the ride, please do. I'm sure it will be a lot of bragging about my kids. Or complaining about my kids. Or random stuff I'm into. Or rants about life in general. After all, I am clueless and making this up as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment